This page lists links to analysis of network outages and costly service downtime. If you are interested, follow the below links for stories that explain what went wrong and lessons learned (outcome) -- which hopefully will serve as a great example of how not to do things.
- The 111 8th Street Outage
- Mediterranean Fiber Cable Cut - Part 1, January 30, 2008 - Renesys.
- Mediterranean Fiber Cable Cut - Part 2, January 30, 2008 - Renesys.
- YouTube Hijacking, February 24th 2008 - a RIPE NCC RIS case study
- Authorize.net Outage and Fisher Plaza Fire, July 1st, 2009
- Google App Engine February 24th, 2010 outage
- K-root outage, September, 2010
- Etsy.com outage, September 14th 2010
- Facebook outage, September 23, 2010
- Netflix - 5 Lessons Learned while using Amazon's Cloud, December 16, 2010
- Amazon EC2 outage in US East Region, April 21, 2011
- Amazon EC2/EBS outage in US East Region, July 02, 2012
- Godaddy outage, September 10, 2012
- Amazon AWS Outage Root Cause Analysis, October 22, 2012
- Google Incident Report - Gmail Partial Outage, December 10, 2012